If you like to take your dogs swimming, please be aware of the dangers of blue-green algae. It is
TOXIC! It can and will kill your dog. Know what to look for and the symptoms. And if at all in question
then avoid that body of water.
Blue-green algae is not always blue-green. It can be green, yellow, brown, or even red.
So do not let the name be deceiving.
"Blooms can occur at any time, but most often occur in late summer or early fall. They can occur in marine,
estuarine, and fresh waters, but the blooms of greatest concern are the ones that occur in fresh water, such as drinking water
reservoirs or recreational waters.
Some cyanobacterial blooms can look like foam, scum, or mats on the surface of fresh water lakes and ponds.
The blooms can be blue, bright green, brown, or red and may look like paint floating on the water. Some blooms may not affect
the appearance of the water. As algae in a cyanobacterial bloom die, the water may smell bad.
Some cyanobacteria that can form CyanoHABs (Harmful Algal Blooms) produce toxins that are among the most
powerful natural poisons known. These toxins have no known antidotes.
Swallowing water that has cyanobacterial toxins in it can cause acute, severe gastroenteritis (including
diarrhea and vomiting).
Liver toxicity (i.e., increased serum levels of liver enzymes). Symptoms of liver poisoning may takes hours
or days to show up in people or animals. Symptoms include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Neurotoxicity. These symptoms can appear within 15 to 20 minutes after exposure. In dogs, the neurotoxins
can cause salivation and other neurologic symptoms, including weakness, staggering, difficulty breathing, convulsions, anddeath.
People may have numb lips, tingling fingers and toes, or they may feel dizzy." (taken from the USDAC site at the following
link http://www.usdac.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=59&Itemid=107 )
It can be there one day and gone the next.
If in doubt, don't let your dog swim there. Its better to be safe than sorry.
Dogs develop the toxicity from ingestion of the algae. This can come from a dog drinking the
water or even accidentally ingesting it from licking their hair after a day of swimming.
Toxicity can occur either in the liver of the dog that ingested the algae or in the nervous system.
Signs of Blue-Green Algae Toxicity in the liver may include:
Pale mucous membranes
Signs of Blue-Green Algae Toxicity in the nervous system may include:
If you think your dog has been poisoned by blue-green algae get them to the vet immediately.
There is no way to treat this at home by yourself. It could be the difference between life and death!
FOR MORE INFO CLICK HERE